11.19.2003

Thoughts on 1 John...

Some thoughts and questions... Don't mind me, I'm thinking out loud now.

Chapter 2, verse 2: He is the atoning sacrifice for our sins, and not only for ours but also for the sins of the whole world.
Ok, I've been thinking on how we are judged also for the sins of omission, not just commission... I know I'm probably four-wheeling right over the point of the verse, but it triggered a thought: I am fairly sure that we are also to ask forgiveness for the sins of the world, namely our society, our government, etc. But how are we to be asking? Do we ask Him to forgive us for not preventing? Do we ask Him to forgive them for committing? Do we ask Him to forgive us for committing (as though we participated by not preventing)? Do we ask in all these ways? Ok, moving on...

Chapter 2, verse 15: Do not love the world or anything in the world. If anyone loves the world, the love of the Father is not in him.
Here's something that itches at my minute little mind: has our overuse and misuse of the word "love" become a problem with regards to this verse? I just told someone tonight that I "love" food... But that is not true (I hope). I thoroughly enjoy food, the stimulation of my sense of taste. But I do not serve food as my master, I do not seek to know and obey food, I do not center my life around it (I hope). It is a necessary thing for survival, which I seek to bring enjoyment to, to add to the purely utilitarian function. All that hodge-podge being said, heh.... I now have two questions: does my desire for the "physical enjoyment of taste", the "pleasure of eating" remove me from God, as it were? Not saying that I am stricken from the Book of Life, but does it remove me as other sin does? Is it a sin? ...because I desire some fulfillment of flesh, that has nothing to do with God or His Will... And second, is that love? We have skewed the definition of love by misusing and overusing... does that then work against us? Do we come closer to love of something just by saying it? Surely I don't actually love my new favorite scent from Bath & Body Works... but when I tell one of my girlfriends about it, I still say: "Oh, you have to try it, I love it, it smells so good!". Does my lack of reverence, as it were, for the word "love" and what it should mean change its meaning? If it does, then that means I really do love lotion.

Perhaps I should just be more careful with that word...

Stepping back for a moment, 1 John sure does have me fearing for my salvation... Heh, that's funny, because then it says in Chaper 4, verse 18: There is no fear in love. But perfect love drives out all fear, because fear has to do with punishment. The one who fears is not made perfect in love. (On a side note, I found that verse a few weeks ago, right when I needed it. I was being pressured for a decision, and I just didn't know and was afraid... I came across that verse and it was like "BOOM!! DUH!! It's not real love then, you goof." That probably makes no sense to any of you... Anyway...)

I am systematically trying to die to my flesh, so that I won't sin, so that I can walk as Jesus did. But isn't it funny that we can't even do that ourselves? God has to help us with that too. It's a process I'm none too fond of, because all it seems to be doing sometimes is pointing out just how rotten I am.

Wow, my brain just went off on a 10 minute trip on that one. Welcome back, Jack. I was just thinking about how there are times when I've crawled into bed at the end of the day, and started chatting with God... and the Holy Spirit has to remind me to ask forgiveness for my sins... And there are even times when I can't even remember my sins, but I know I've committed them. For instance, I know I've surely laughed at something inappropriate, or had unclean thoughts, or ignored a tug from the Holy Spirit just to keep from rocking the boat. I've walked, often oblivious, right through His will and to my own, and I'm so accustomed to doing it that I don't even notice sometimes. That horrifies me...

Anyway, this post is getting really long, I'm sorry. I'll give your pretty little heads a rest. Sweet dreams, darlings.

Love God, love others, love life--live it OUT LOUD, and leave a legacy!

-Jack-

|