11.18.2003

Another Day, Another... yeah.

I didn't earn any money today, because it was my day off. Hehe. Mom's still in the hospital, they still aren't sure what's causing all the pain. My little brother was vomiting all night, and my son still has the "stoole" problem, though not as seriously as yesterday. So there ya have it, and there ya are.

Do you people have any idea how awesome God is? I mean seriously... do you ever stop and just think about how unbelievably great He is? I do... He just floors me. Straight up leaves my mouth hanging open. I cannot even comprehend half of how great He is. He loves me... He actually loves me... ME. The big screw-up, the idiot, the sinner, the smoker, the single mom, the (ever-so-slightly) neurotic chick from some suburb of some city in some state... He knows me better than I know myself. How cool is that???

Yeah, so I mentioned courtship a few days ago. I've been hearing a lot about it lately. It's very intriguing. It appears to me, basically, to be a return to the basics, a step or three backward in our cultural evolution (which I'm ALL for)... Do any of you like the sound of that? I really do... I want to be courted. I want to do it right. We all know I've certainly tried the wrong way, heh. But I wasn't joking when I said sometimes I wish my father would just arrange a marraige for me. I really wish sometimes that he would. I think we take relationships way too far before marraige. I don't want to know every possible thing there is to know about the ever-elusive "him" before I take the plunge. I want there to be excitement and discovery AFTER the vows.

Which brings me to another angle of the marriage conundrum: I think the reason courtship has not been as universally successful in its original form is because we have lost our basic unified ideals and morals. As a nation, as a society, a people, America's core is volatile. It used to be that almost everyone was raised in generally the same way, in terms of learning values, morals, etc. The majority of American families operated the same way, valued the same things. Men had their roles, and women had theirs. But the lines and margins and directions have been so thoroughly skewed that no one can make anything out of it anymore. I can't trust that a man that finds me attractive and interesting isn't going to be some kind of lazy bum that wants me to dominate his life and be a big femi-nazi. I'm not sure, but... I think when I'm asked out, I'm supposed to offer to pay now. What is THAT???? There's no common ground, no basic understanding of how things work anymore, because they "work" (though mostly unsuccessfully) so many different ways now.

Does this make sense to anyone? I hope so, because I'm just sort of rambling. I'm not even going to proofread for typos, lol. Can't wait to hear what you think about it all.

Just for something to do, here's a really great article for y'all to read--it can bless singles and married folk alike! Enjoy...

Live out loud, my friends!

-Jack-

P.S. - Hey, Pastor Scott, I don't understand 1 Tim 2:15. Could you explain it please? Is it a contextual thing I'm missing? Thanks!

|