12.06.2004

Undecided...

Well, I was going to tell you all about the completely surreal occurrences of Saturday night, but then I got an interesting email. So I can't really decide what to write about: 1) the ongoing saga starring myself and hot guy from poker night, or 2) intriguing email.

How about a I just give the overview of the ongoing saga and then we'll dive into the email:

Call #1, approximately 11:00pm, he's in New York, I'm babysitting at M and L's: He has broken things off with his "girlfriend" for good, he's sick of the drama, is sick of the games, is taking my stance on relationships and wants nothing to do with one, no more girlfriends, blah blah blah. I'm happy for him, sorry things didn't work out, etc etc.

Call #2, approximately 3:00am, he's in New York, I'm just home from babysitting: He's been walking around New York, thinking, and just finished an hour long conversation with a random old man in his hotel lobby... and he's pretty sure he's in love with me... I'm like wha??? I thought you just said you didn't want a girlfriend, women were all mental patients, blah blah... He maintains they still are, but that he's found one he can deal with, and wants to deal with, and that just happens to be me...

Yeah, chew on that. Can we say "drama"? Can we say "rebound"? Though admittedly this is the quickest case I've ever heard of, let alone been the victim of. Sure I'm attracted to the guy but wow... this is way out of left field. Anyway. So there's that.

Now on to the email: Remember pizza dude way back when that asked me out? Well, he turned out to be a dyed in the wool athiest (claims to have once been a die-hard Christian), and we've emailed a few times, but I have a bad habit of not keeping up with my emails. At any rate, I haven't heard from him in a while and wasn't expecting to. Then just now, I got an email from him. He sent it to "all my Christian friends". I think God's doing some work in him because the tone of the email is very confrontational, and basically, he's demanding some answers to questions that I believe he has designed to be unanswerable, in his opinion. I think God has put some people in his life and they are pushing some buttons for him, and this is his reaction... to ask questions that he doesn't think we can answer. I'm going to put the first part of the email in here so you see his qualifications for answers, and then I'll post the first question. It's my intent to have you guys help me provide him with solid answers.

Ready to have a go?

Title: Tough Questions for Bible Believers

To all of my christian friends outh there.... Just a few questions.First.Telling me that the ways of God are many and mysterious is not a valid answer. By telling me that all you are doing is conceding that what your Bible tells you is so ridiculous you can't even come up with some semblance of an explanation. Submitting a reply that does not answer the question(s), or one that answers a question other than the one asked will not be taken seriously, although they will provide comedy relief. Answering the question with a question won't fly either.

1) John 3:16 says "For God so loved the world that he gave his only begotten son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." It is a recurring theme in the New Testament that Jesus died for the sins of humanity, and it is the foundation of Christianity that Jesus paid for the sins of the world by making the ultimate sacrifice - death.The question is: How is it a sacrifice for one to die knowing that he or she will be alive again in a few days? If the necessary sacrifice was for Jesus to die, but Jesus isn't dead, then the necessary sacrifice hasn't been made. Often times Christians attempt to answer this by alluding to the fact that Jesus suffered greatly, but that isn't the point at all. The necessary sacrifice was his death... but Christians don't believe he is dead!


WARNING: his next question debates whether Jesus died or not, hinging on the english definition of death, that being: death is "a permanent cessation of all vital functions", according to him (I haven't checked the definition myself yet).

So there you go. Please help me with this, I'd love to be able to give him some real, honest, and Biblical answers--God is the answer, and I want to show him that. Thanks!

-Jack-

|