9.28.2003

I Couldn't Have Said It Better...

I was reading over at The Connexion and noticed a reference to the story about the girl in California trying to start a Caucasion Club in her high school.

Ok, I'm really sorry if this offends anyone, but I say: you go, girl. I think this particular controversy within it's singular context is wonderful. It's being instigated by a young girl who really does appear to be naive to the perceived racial implications that the embittered---aherm, I mean adult world is thrusting on it. What better way to open up the debate than by someone who doesn't have some kind of agenda?

And it allows the rest of the world to see the ridiculousness of the racial prefernce system we've installed into our society. It's the old "Miss Black America" debate, but it's got a different tone this time. Like it's been made ok to talk about now. I can't stand how touchy people are on that subject. We're all created by God, who gives a flying red ribbon what color you are?

I must say I was disturbed by one youngster's statement to the press:
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
But 14-year-old African American Tarryn disagrees.

"It's dumb, real dumb. The girl says 'we want to talk about our background,' well their background is about putting black people as slaves."
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I'm sorry, but that little girl should NEVER have been quoted. First off, she obviously doesn't have the wherewithall to back up that kind of statement. But of course, that might get me started down the road to blasting the government and media for their corrupting of the educational system. We can save that for another time. :-)

I'll just sum it up with this (disclaimer to follow):
1. How did we get the majority of the slaves off the Ivory Coast? I'll give you a hint: We didn't go in hunting them.
2. It's awfully convenient that the history books offered to primary school students exclude the fact that there were THOUSANDS of BLACK slave-owners as well.
3. I won't even begin to go down the "Not-every-Caucasian-in-America-is-a-direct-descendent-of-a-slave-owner" road...

That, in my opinion, is racism. It's too bad a little girl who doesn't know enough facts to make an informed statement already has it so thoroughly ingrained in her head. And don't even get me started on that reporter... ok, in all fairness, maybe it was the editor. Actually, it would be both, since the reporter reported it in the first place, and then the editor approved it... BUT, I said I wasn't going there, so I'll turn around and give you my lovely little disclaimer now.

My disclaimer is only on how these statements may affect you. NOT on the information. I am truly sorry if this offends you. It is not meant, in any way, to do so. Truly, I do not intend to hurt anyone. But it's also my blog, and I intend to use it to explore my own feelings on things, and hopefully to spark some discussion. These comments are not made to stick it to anyone, or throw anything in anyone's face. They are facts. Documented facts. I am SOOOO not politically correct. Life is too short to waste it on making sure everybody feels warm and fuzzy all the time. It's not why we're here.

That being said, I will follow with my hope that this does NOT go to court. I think suing is a ridiculous "solution", and I use the term very loosely. Suing doesn't solve anything. It just moves money around. Stuff happens in life, deal with it. :-)

I hope I've not come across too terribly harshly in this post. I told ya to look out, when I get going it's tough to stop me, lol. And since no one is looking over my shoulder in order to know when to stop me... well. Whatever. Even if there was, I'm not likely to change my ideas about the absurdity of political correctness.

God bless ALL of you, of EVERY color.

-Jack-

|